Updated U13 + U15 SELECTION CRITERIA FOR 2017 INTERNATIONAL EVENTS
Fencers will be selected for International events in Paris and Poland 2017 as follows:
- SELECTION SUMMARY
For 2017 International events, selections will be allocated as follows:
1a U15 Foil – Challenge CEP Marathon, Paris: Due to change in age critera of CEP Marathon to U14, no team will be selected for this event in 2017. England Fencing will review international events and age eligibility for season 2017/18
1b U15 Epee, sabre and foil*- Challenge Wratslavia, Wroclaw Poland:
- Fencers in each gender finishing in the top 4 of the 2016 EYC U15 and U13 weapon specific events will be selected automatically if they fit the age criteria in 2017*.
- The remaining places (to a total of 12 per gender and weapon) will be allocated according to the England Fencing U15 weapon specific ranking lists.
- *the foil event is subject to the success of the pilot event in 2016
(* Fencers must meet the age criteria for 2017 events. This requires the fencer to be over 13 but U15 on January 1st 2017. In practice, this means that only U15 fencers in their first U15 year in 2016 will qualify.)
1c For U13 events: U13 category for all weapons at the Challenge Wratislavia in Wroclaw Poland, places will be allocated as follows:.
- Fencers finishing in the top 4 of the 2016 EYC U13 weapon specific events will be selected automatically if they fit the age criteria in 2017*.
- The remaining places (to a total of 6 per weapon, per gender) will be allocated according to the U13 foil, epee and sabre England ranking lists.
(* Fencers must meet the age criteria for 2017 events, requiring a fencer to be U13 on January 1st 2017.)
- SELECTION DATES
The selection date will normally be 10 days after the final competition in November 2016 and selection will not be subject to any discretion.
Places will be allocated in order of rank, excluding those already qualified via the EYCs. If the date of any foreign event is brought forward significantly and the selection date has to be changed then this fact will be publicised on the England Fencing website and via England Fencing social media.
3) SELECTION EVENTS
The ranking lists shall include the best 5 results from the following competitions:
- a) British Youth Championships 2016 (U12 and U14)
- b) England Youth Championships 2016 (U13 and U15)
- c) February and July British Cadet Championships 2016 (U17)
- d) Leon Paul Junior Series competitions in the relevant weapon (U13 and U15) in the rolling ranking year 2015/16
- e) Additional competitions for 2016:
- i) for Foil: the Manchester Cadet Tournament, BRC U17 competitions and the November Newham Swords Junior Challenge Series event 4 U12 + U14
- ii) for epée: BRC U17 competitions, the Young Hoskyns (U13) and the Elite Epee Series (2015-16: U13 & U16 and 2016-2017 U14 & U17); Cocks Moor Epee
iii) for Sabre: BRC U17 competitions and the Stratford U14.
- ELIGIBILITY FOR SELECTION
Fencers must be a British Citizen and to hold a UK passport. You must also be eligible to represent GBR at international level. Fencers then have the right to represent England Fencing provided that:
- you were born in England; or
- you have a parent born in England; or
- you are normally resident in the England and have been for a period of time (length of time depends on age and connection);
- you are a member of England Fencing.
Qualifying fencers must be members of England Fencing Ltd at the time of selection and at the time of the event, must agree (with parental consent) to the code of conduct and conditions (including financial and travel arrangements) of the trip. England Fencing Ltd reserves the right to withhold selection from fencers with an unsatisfactory disciplinary record, or with an outstanding debt to EF or its agents.